10.08.2008

Theology

Matthew 22:37 (New International Version)
37Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.'[a]

I was challenged by a student recently. I was asked why they should worry about theology. Their argument was based on three points.

1. Christianity is Spiritual and not intellectual.
2. I have a Pastor who teaches me what I need to know.
3. I could never begin to understand Theology.

Although this doesn’t surprise me, it does concern me. It is not an uncommon reality. We as humans often shirk our responsibility. Many people believe that if they don’t think about it and just follow, they are not responsible if it is wrong. I would rather have a Pastor tell me something and I believe it. If what he tells me is wrong, I can blame the pastor for miss leading me.

I also hear people often talk about Christianity being Spiritual and not intellectual. “I do not want to muck up what the Spirit tells me to do with all that religious stuff.” I agree our faith deepened with help of the Holy Spirit. I believe the Spirit leads us and guides us, but we must engage the Holy Spirit. We engage in this relationship with study, prayer and listening. We must spend time dwelling on our faith and the Bible’s teachings.

Theology is not hard to understand or study. Theology is simply studying and thinking about God. You do not need to use big words and fancy theories to do this, only your Bible. Sitting quietly reading and then thinking about what you read is Theology. Seeking guidance from the Holy Spirit and allowing it to stoke that passion for God that resides in all humans. God will reveal His Truths to you in a way that will benefit you.

1 comment:

Kevin3NF said...

I agree. Compare what you are told with what scripture says and the Holy Spirit will let you know the truth.

Christianity is both Spiritual AND Intellectual...it is for all levels of understanding.

Kevin
IC3 North Texas